Wednesday 22 September 2010

Hollister and Deep-fried Mars Bars

Hey everybody :)


I've been living in Glasgow for almost two weeks now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It has been a combination of great company, the buzz of freshers' week and specific culinary delights (such as scotch pies and deep-fried mars bars) that has made my experience so pleasurable. I have a feeling that the local Morrisons and my recent acquisition of a Starbucks card will get me through first year just grand :)


Freshers' week was absolutely hectic! There was a plethora of different events; club nights, eating/drinking competitions, games, tours, open mic nights, etc. so it was quite hard to make a choice as to where to go. The best times, however, were spent in each other's kitchens and rooms where we were actually able to get to know each other and build friendships. Highlights of freshers' week include:

  • Pendulum DJ Set
  • Ministry of Sound
  • Watching Father Ted until 3am ("The Pope? He's no friend of mine!" - Haha, Classic)
  • Dancing like a complete eejit
  • Watching the All-Ireland GAA Final at Waxy O'Connor's (although £4.30 for a Magners? Saunter on!)
  • Boiling an energy drink until it turned black :S
  • Playing Livin' On A Prayer at open mic and getting the whole room to sing :)
Lectures commenced on Monday morning. Theology has been quite interesting so far. In my 'Introduction to the Bible' module, my lecturer compared Jesus' big trip to Jerusalem the 1st Century equivalent to going to LA to snort cocaine with Paris Hilton. It's been very interesting, yet challenging so far. I'm sure that my faith and confidence in God will be strengthened as a result of the course so I'm happy as Larry. My Hebrew module is absolutely class! We have already learnt the consonantal  'Alephbeth' and are moving onto vowels soon. In Philosophy we have been studying Descartes' Meditations and also the whole idea of 'arguments'. My music hasn't really began yet but I'm looking forward to joining a society or two. 

So far, Philosophy has been my favourite subject but I shall let you know how I'm getting on in the near future.

I had my orientation shift today for the new Hollister store opening at Buchanan Galleries. I had a great time meeting my fellow colleagues and getting to know all about the job. I'm going to be working as the 'overnight' position (with the rest of the munters) which means that I'll be working after the shop closes (from 6-11), making sure that the shop is in good condition for the next day. It'll be a lot more relaxed and better craic than working during the day and I will get paid £8.50 per hour after 8.30pm! Beaut ;)

Recently my heart has been set on West End Vineyard Church. Everybody that I've met there has been really friendly and welcoming as I was invited out for lunch after Sunday's meeting and also to the pub on Sunday night. I should hopefully be joining a small group once my schedule becomes more regular so please pray that God leads me to the right one. I shall also be attending morning and Eucharist services at the University chapel, my first experiences within the Church of Scotland. 

Recently, life has been really enjoyable (mainly due to a lengthy phone call with Samuel James McConnell). Please pray that God will lead me to the right people/groups and will build strong, spirit-filled relationships with Christians in the area. I have had some great conversations with people about Jesus and, especially in Philosophy, the possibility of the existence of God is on many peoples minds. Pray that the seeds that are planted into these individuals' lives will grow and bear fruit. Pray for the Christian Union and the various groups meeting in the halls of residence. 

I shall leave you with two videos. The first of which is an awareness test which our philosophy lecturer showed us today

The second, which is of more importance, is of a story of a miracle which was performed in the streets of Glasgow

God Bless :)
J


No comments:

Post a Comment